Spring has sprung and it is a great time to start spring cleaning your house! Even if you are on top of your everyday cleaning tasks it is still a good idea to spring clean your home. If you have let some of your regular cleaning tasks get a bit behind, then spring cleaning is a good way to reset and will make it easier to keep on top of the everyday cleaning tasks going forward.
Spring Cleaning – The Tri Nature Way
Here are our top tips for creating a clean and clutter free home this spring!
Create a playlist of your favourite tunes! Open the windows and let in the fresh air! Make a List!
It is recommended to break your spring cleaning up into small sections so that it doesn’t become overwhelming! Tackling one room at a time is an easy way to break up the cleaning tasks especially if you need to spread the tasks out over a few days or over several weekends.
To make it easier to clean it is a good idea to declutter each room first. Put items back where they belong, discard damaged and broken items, and donate or sell items that are no longer wanted, or needed. Whether it is sorting your clothes and donating items that you no longer wear, clearing out expired items from the pantry and medicine cabinet or discarding old mobile phones (at an approved e-waste recycler) decluttering will help to bring a sense of calm and happiness to your space.
Once you have decluttered the area you can move onto the cleaning tasks.
- Wash your walls to remove grime and marks and wipe down your baseboards. Using Chamomile Dishwashing Liquid (just a small amount in a bucket of water) is usually sufficient, however, if your walls are greasy you may need to use Supre Multipurpose Cleaner.
- Take down and wash your curtains using Alpha Plus Laundry Powder or Alpha Plus Laundry Liquid or for delicate lace curtains that may need to be hand washed use Alpha Plus Gentle Laundry Wash. Dust your blinds and if necessary, give them a wipe down.
- With the curtains temporarily out of the way it is much easier to clean your windows. Using Hyaline Glass & Window Cleaner will help make quick work of the task and leave your windows sparkling clean.
- As a final step in each room vacuum the carpet or mop the floor with Optimate Floor Cleaner.
With your pantry and refrigerator decluttered and all the expired food discarded it is time to stop wondering how long that half full bottle of salad dressing has been hiding up the back of the fridge and move on to cleaning.
- Clean and disinfect your refrigerator shelves and drawers with Sanazone Odourless Disinfectant. Its fragrance-free formula is ideal for use in food areas.
- Supre Multipurpose Cleaner makes easy work of cleaning cupboards and drawers and wiping down benches. It is also great for cleaning the microwave to remove greasy contaminations that build up and the messy pasta sauce explosions that your teenager seems to constantly make.
- Whilst no one is ever happy to clean the oven it can be done the easy way using Blitz Oven & BBQ Cleaner boosted with natural orange oil it effortlessly removes baked on grease leaving your oven ready for lots more baking.
- Don’t forget to descale your coffee machine and dishwasher. Using Maxim Machine Descaler will remove the hard water deposits and keep your appliances working efficiently. This is especially important if you live in an area with hard water as hard water deposits (limescale) can cause problems and reduce the lifespan of your machines.
- Giving your stainless steel appliances a polish with Illumina Stainless Steel Polish will leave them looking bright and shiny.
- Clean & disinfect the garbage bins with Sphagnum Moss Spearmint & Musk Disinfectant or Sanazone Lemon Myrtle Disinfectant to leave them clean, germ free and smelling great.
When decluttering the bathroom, it is important to remember to return expired medicines to your local pharmacy and discard expired cosmetics. Using old medicines can be dangerous or ineffective and expired cosmetics can be contaminated with bacteria (Eeeww!). Why did you buy that blue eyeshadow?
- If you hate scrubbing, you can effortlessly remove soap scum and hard water deposits from your shower, bath, basins and toilet using Excel Bathroom Cleaner.
- If mould has been sneaking into your bathroom and making itself at home on your walls, ceiling and tiles, never fear, as mould can be easily removed using the Tea Tree & Rosemary Mould Cleaner. Using the exhaust fan and opening the windows regularly will help to minimise the damp conditions that mould needs to grow and help prevent it returning.
- Give your shower curtain a clean. If it is a fabric curtain you can wash it in the washing machine using Alpha Plus Laundry Powder or Alpha Plus Laundry Liquid. If it is a plastic curtain, you can clean it with Supre Multipurpose Cleaner. Glass shower screens can be cleaned with Hyaline Glass & Window Cleaner.
- If the kids have been getting a bit enthusiastic with the hand prints and your bathroom mirror looks a little worse for wear, Hyaline Glass & Window Cleaner will make it easy to clean your mirror and leave it sparkling clean.
The Living Room
The living room is probably one of the most utilised areas in most households and can benefit from a good declutter and a spring clean. How long has it been since you vacuumed behind the lounge?
- A great place to start in the living room is to vacuum soft furniture and if your lounge has removable covers you can wash these using Alpha Plus Laundry Powder or Alpha Plus Laundry Liquid. Don’t forget to wash the decorative cushions while you are on it.
- Give your carpet a thorough vacuum and then clean it with Pro Care Carpet Cleaner. It can be used as a pre spray to tackle those heavily trafficked areas before extraction cleaning to keep it looking great.
- Use Heritage Furniture Polish to clean and polish your wooden furniture such as coffee tables, TV stands, buffets and side tables.
Laundry & Linen Cupboard
If your linen cupboard looks like it could be on the cover of any home & lifestyle magazine, congratulations you can move on to the next task. If like most of us, your linen cupboard could do with a declutter and reorganise, then tackle that first before moving on to cleaning your laundry.
- You can’t expect to get clean clothes with a dirty washing machine. Over time limescale and other grime can build up in your washing machine especially if you have used supermarket washing powders as they often contain insoluble ingredients that can build up in your machine. It is a good idea to regularly clean and descale your washing machine using Maxim Machine Descaler to keep your machine running efficiently.
If your wardrobe was bursting at the seams with clothes, hopefully, it is in a much better state after a good declutter. If the weather has started to warm it is also a good time to pack away those heavy coats and jackets.
- Freshen up the room by washing your bed covers, pillows and blankets using Alpha Plus Laundry Powder or Alpha Plus Laundry Liquid. After they are clean, pack away your heavier blankets as they are not usually needed in the warmer spring weather.
Hopefully you are now on your way to a clean and clutter free house!
Check out our Usage Guide for more ideas on how Tri Nature can keep your home clean!